Monday, May 5, 2008

SOMETHINGS BURNING

I've attempted to watch "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" at least 4 times these past few months. I'm a big fan of Hunter S. Thompson's writing, and also Johnny Depp and Terry Gilliam, but for some reason I absolutely cannot finish watching this movie. I fall asleep in the first act everytime. Maybe it's that trying to visualize a drug experience on film is an impossible feat. The whole acid trip sequence of peoples faces stretching and turning into animals just kinda feels like a well worn cliche used to describe every acid trip in every film. I do get a kick out of Benicio all fat and grizzled, but it doesn't sustain my interest past a few minutes. Has anyone else had this problem with Fear and Loathing? Have you ever wanted to like something based on it's pedigree but just can't get into it?
A movie I recently saw that did hold my interest was Michael Haneke's remake of his own movie, "Funny Games". Without giving anything away, this movie will either make you really think about violence in society and entertainment, or, as I overheard several fellow moviegoers gripe on the way out of the theater, make you think "I can't believe I sat through that". I feel strange saying I loved it, or even I enjoyed it. Enjoying a story like Funny Games will make you question your own humanity. Either way, I think it's an eye opening film and will stay with you long after you've seen it. And that, considering most current movies, is quite a feat unto itself. Then again, maybe I just like pretentious movies. I did go to film school afterall. Still, my favorite movie is Major League. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.
I've been listening to the debut album by The View, "Hats off to the buskers" . I actually purchased it twice, having lost my first copy.
Strangely I'm not blown away by it. Theres probably 4 or 5 songs I don't even really like. But the songs I like, I really love, "Face for the Radio" and "Wasted Little DJs" especially. Check it out if you get a chance. They're pretty big in the UK but as always, virtually unknown here in the States.
Alright, that's more than enough from me.
Later
M

No comments: